|Book Study Group of Chets Creek Leaders|
BIG ideas in Chapter 2
What does the series contain?
“This series aims to be... professional development in a box”
Each grade level box includes:
- Four major units which include units in fiction and non-fiction with a foundation unit and
- Six additional possible units in the If...Then..Curriculum which provide for choice and differentiation
- Each session (lesson) includes:
- suggestions for conferences and small groups for that day
- mid-workshop teaching
- Also included are
- a stretch of reading work with state-of the art readalouds
- supports for shared reading
- short list of recommended titles for independent, partner and club reading
THIS SERIES IS BUILT ON DECADES OF TEACHING AND RESEARCH.
THIS SERIES PROVIDES BOTH CURRICULUM AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Uses "gradual release of responsibility" and "zone of proximal development"
Research by Bembry and others: If a child has access to a strong teacher for three consecutive years, that child's scores on standardized test will be as much as 40% higher than the scores of students who have not had strong teachers. This show the effect of a good school (and that is Chets Creek's strength!)
- Schools need to become communities of practice with a common language.
- "The reading curriculum will always be a living, changing, growing compilation of best practices."
Next assignment: 12-3-15 Chapter 3 "What Does Research Say All Readers Need?"