Friday, July 9, 2010

What's an EdCamp or an Unconference?

One of the most powerful things about attending a conference like ISTE 2010, is the conversations you have between the sessions and the people you meet.  That's why I'm so intrigued by the idea of an edcamp or unconference.  This voicethread explains the concept well:





And Lisa Thumann not only explains it here, she is helping plan one coming up soon. 

I have never attended an unconference, but have learned much online from others attending or sharing at them.  I have been intrigued by the idea of how they get started and wonder why I have never seen one with the topic of ed tech where I live or anywhere down south!

So, in the avenue of being "the change you want to see" I'm thinking of planning one.  Anyone with me?  Would you be willing to lead discussions and come learn?  What do you think?

4 comments:

dayle timmons said...

Oh my, this sounds intriguing. Sounds like you could do an unconference on any title, like RtI or making a difference with struggling readers. It wouldn't have to be a conference just about technology, but would people sign up to present? Or would they be too intimidated by the fact that it's something new? Are we a group of risk-takers or will we continue to let someone else decide our destiny? Food for thought...

N said...

I'm in. We can plan for a fall dcps technology unconference (love that name...like alice in wonderland's unbirthday). also, if we plan ahead of time, we can get local tech/education companies to offer door prizes if we offer them booth space. can your school host?

Melanie Holtsman said...

Hey Nicole,
It wouldn't have to be through dcps. Probably prefer for it to be independent. This is very informal. No sit and get here. All about having conversations with folks around topics about edtech. So, no vendors. It needs to be a space with wifi that will allow people to bring their own devices. So a dcps school won't work. Possibly Schultz... I'll have to see what they think. I'll keep you in the loop. I would love to have your help.

And of course, you too dayle!

Anonymous said...

I think this is a great idea. Some of the best ideas and discussions come from informal sit down discussions. The less intimidating you can make it the better. People are more willing to add to a discussion if it's informal and comfortable.

Tracy Ruark